Does the Library accept material donations?
Yes! All donations are greatly appreciated. Donations help fill gaps in specific collections and provide funding for programming and supplies.
What type of materials does the Library accept?
These items we love:
- Antiquarian, Rare and Collectible Books (ex: Special Collections)
- Children’s Books
- Foreign Language Books (in Western Script)
- Hardcover Fiction and Nonfiction
- Mass Market Paperbacks
- Trade Paperbacks
- *CDs, DVDs and Blu-ray Discs
- * Books on CD-unabridged only
- *Video Games
*Only complete disc sets with original case art.
A QUICK NOTE ABOUT THE CONDITION OF MATERIALS.
Books must be free of mildew, mold, and dirt. They should not exhibit excessive spine damage, have missing pages, or be missing their covers. Books cannot have water damage. For media, sets must be complete and cannot be missing the original case art.
These items we do not accept. Recycle them or donate them locally:
- Any books which do not meet the Condition Requirements above.
- Abridgments (books on CD, books, etc.)
- Activity Books and Workbooks (ex: Coloring Books)
- Annuals and Yearbooks
- Audio Cassettes, VHS Tapes, & Computer Software
- Books Published by Magazines (ex: Reader’s Digest Condensed and Time-Life Books)
- Britannica and World Books Encyclopedia
- Case Law and Procedural Books
- Custom Course Packets
- Damaged or moldy materials
- Dated Reference Material (over 5 years old)
- Directories and Telephone Books
- Duplicate Copies (in excess of 20 copies per title)
- Free Copies, Examination Copies, or Advanced Reading Copies
- Journals and Periodicals
- Materials with markings or writing (except author signed books).
- Microfilm and Microfiche
- Newspapers and Magazines
- Non-Western Script Books
- Tax and Government Documents or Forms
- Textbooks-New or used
Where does the Library accept donations?
Please bring your donations to the Library in small boxes or bags that can be easily carried. Bring items to the front information desk inside the Library. Please do not place donated materials in the library book returns or leave them outside the library door.
For added convenience, we also have a Friends of the Library donations drop-box just inside the east door at Safeway (660 S Main St). Due to space limitations, this drop-box is for small donations. (Larger donations—5 or more items—need to be dropped at the Library). Donations dropped at the box at Safeway must fit inside the drop-box. If the box is full, please bring your donations to the Library.
Are donations tax deductible?
Yes! At your request, Library staff will provide you with a receipt that you may fill out for tax purposes. The Library staff is not qualified to determine the value of your donation. It will be up to you to assign a value for tax purposes.
Will the Library take large donations (more than 4 boxes)?
If you have a large amount of materials that you wish to donate, please contact the Library by phone @ 707-964-2020 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with the quantity and a description of the materials. We will pass your information along to the Friends and they will contact you to make arrangements for delivery/pick-up.
A staff member will contact you to let you know if the library is able to accept a large number of materials at the time you wish to bring the donations in.
What does the Fort Bragg Library do with donations?
Donated items are evaluated with care and the Library adds quality materials to the collection. Due to limited space and extended processing times and costs, we are unable to place every donation on the shelves. If the donation is not one the Library can use it is given to the Friends of the Library to sell at the Noyo Harbor Bookstore, periodical book sales, in the library, or online. Books that don’t sell through the Friends are donated to other nonprofit agencies.
The money raised by sales goes to fund programming and to purchase other library materials.
What can I do with materials the library cannot accept?
Most thrift stores accept books and other materials as donations or you may decide to recycle the books, magazines, cassettes, and VHS tapes at:
Fort Bragg Disposal
219 Pudding Creek Rd., Fort Bragg