- This event has passed.
Financial Aid for College Preparation ~ a presentation for students and parents ‘Class of 2018’
November 7, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm
Financial Aid for College Preparation
It’s time for the students and parents of the Class of ’18 to apply for Financial Aid!
Be smart and prepared to finance college; come learn the details.
Tuesday, November 7, 2017, 5:30 – 7:30 pm
THE PRESENTATION WILL INCLUDE:
- An overview of financial aid and support for college.
- A review of the types of colleges in California and out-of-state.
- Independent/Dependent policies – who is the parent?
The application process:
- Completing the FAFSA if it hasn’t been done yet for 2018-19
- Supplemental applications for private colleges
- The application for undocumented students
- Follow-up documentation required by colleges
- How eligibility is determined
- The actual cost of college
- The Expected Family Contribution
- Searching for colleges that have well funded financial aid programs
- The major types of financial aid
- Types of loans: good, bad and awful
- How to interpret an offer of financial aid and judge its value
- What to do if you receive no aid
- What will you actually pay to the college and when
- How to report special circumstances that affect your ability to pay
- Some ideas for cost savings
- Helpful hints and links to online resources
Mary Gill, Higher Education Consultant
40 years of experience in student financial aid
Lifetime member of the state financial aid associations
Presenter in high schools for over 30 years
Open to the public for anyone interested in the topic, not just current seniors and their families.
Even if you have already completed the “FAFSA” application, there will be much to learn.
No services or products are for sale; this is solely offered as a public service.